Saturday, August 1, 2009

Summer Bounty

One of the best things about summer in DC is the abundance of farmer's markets throughout the city. This year I've been making regular trips to the Penn Quarter FreshFarm Market. Even closer to home, is the fairly new Old City Green, an adorable community garden center, where I picked up a lovely purple basil plant. They even repotted it for me. Unlike the summer bounty of men, the food bounty never disappoints. Cooking with summer produce is so simple and delicious: tomato and eggplant sauteed in garlic and olive oil becomes a quick sauce for pasta. Yummy! And perfect with the Treana viognier I have. As you can see in the picture, I also picked up some really sweet plums in varying colors.
I think I'll take it easy tonight and play around with a new recipe. Given that there's also a bounty of things to do in the summer, I didn't get home until the sun was almost rising this morning. The night included dancing to the sounds of Quentin Harris, one of my favorite DJs, over at the Trinidad and Tobago house. This place has undergone vast improvements since the last time I was there a few months ago. The ventilation, dance floor, and bar have all been upgraded, making for a much more comfortable place to party. I could probably stand to rest up a bit tonight.

Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi-

I'm new to DC and I love farmer's markets. Could you possibly provide the names/locations of some of the better farmer's markets in the District? I would really appreciate it, thank you!

City Girl DC said...

Hi C'Anna - welcome to DC! Here's a
list from the Washington Post