Friday, August 14, 2009

Mad Men Viewing Party at Ulah Bistro

After hearing a friend's rave reviews of Mad Men, the show has been in my Netflix queue since late last year. I absolutely love the show. I'm always amazed at how few people have heard of it especially since its been on for two years now and has received so much critical acclaim. I would say 16 Emmy nominations is quite impressive. One of the best things about the show is how stylish it is. The fashion has obviously struck a chord with women and I see that Banana Republic has jumped on that. I have a feeling we will be seeing lots of women in DC this fall wearing pencil skirts and shift dresses. But I can imagine how the slow pace, intense yet subtle dialogue (you really have to pay attention while watching this show), and overt sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. could turn some people off. I look at it as a sociological study. It's unbelievable how much behaviors have changed since the early 60's.

Well, given that I still haven't upgraded my television situation to a full cable lineup and only have basic cable (that's another post altogether), I can't watch it at home. Apparently, there are others with this same dilemma. So, the folks over at Ulah Bistro were kind enough to offer the upstairs lounge for a viewing party. This works out great! I love the food there and it's right at the U St. metro. And don't be shy! Why not show up in your favorite 60's inspired outfit?

What: Mad Men Season 3 Premiere Viewing Party
Where: Ulah Bistro, 1214 U Street NW, upstairs
When: Sunday, August 16 at 9:30 (show starts at 10pm)

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: