Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Monday Night in DC

At this point I am rather curious. Even more so than usual since I am inquisitive by nature. Who are these folks - other than me - who go out on a Monday night and party until 2am? I was at Marvin yet again to check out the scene after watching the NCAA Championship game in Chinatown at Lucky Strike of all places (this would require an entirely new post to explain why this place is so shitty) with my married friend Rick. I overheard (eavesdropped) a conversation between a 20-something girl and her friends about her no good boyfriend. Basically she was trying to get support for her excuses of his not treating her well in this 6-month relationship they were in which didn't even involve sex. This dude did absolutely nothing for her birthday but promised to "make it up". She believed the reason was his work schedule and actually used that as an excuse to her girlfriends. He would constantly use his child, who she had gotten attached to, as a pawn. Ok, how crazy but common is that? Men are the master manipulators! On top of that, he would tell her not to listen to her single friends because they didn't have a man which obviously meant they knew nothing. Ok, as a woman in her 30's, I know all of these tricks. They are simple and tired. If a woman is with a guy that only means she is likely dealing with a lot of bullshit. That does not mean she knows more than you.
This poor young girl also did not want to let go because she thought if she did, he would win. What does that mean? Well according to her this is how it plays out for him in her head: "I had that bitch in the palm of my hand, she did everything I wanted and now I'm free."
Wow! What do you say to that? In my opinion, you leave the situation, wake up to the truth, and he no longer has you to use and treat like shit. But she wasn't there yet and that was a little depressing because I can remember being stuck like that in my 20's.

So, I needed to shake that off and have a good time. I did at my new favorite Monday night spot at Marvin. DJ Jahsonic (Jamil) is the man! From house to old school rap and soul classics, he keeps the crowd going. The crowd was still going even after the lights had come on. I always meet someone new and interesting from any and everywhere who just seems to love good music. This is not your weekend crowd in DC. I don't even like to go out on the weekend anymore - too many bridge and tunnel people if you know what I mean. We need more weeknights like this. Isn't that what it means to be in a vibrant international city?

Sphere: Related Content

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG - I so remember these conversations from when I was in my 20s - I put up with crap too, and so many of my friends did. What's even sadder is women in their 30s who still make excuses for their guys like they did in their 20s.

City Girl DC said...

City Girl that is so true. The 30's should be a time of enlightenment. No time should be wasted on losers.

restaurant refugee said...

If you're ever looking for a Monday night change of pace, Madams Organ on Mondays is a blast. The band, "One Night Stand," plays terrific covers of old R&B, a little top 40, the scattered Reggae, and too much else.

I haven't checked out Marvin's Monday night, mostly because the weekend crowd makes my skin crawl, but thanks for the heads-up. I look forward to trying the place sometime.