Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Romance Lives?

Like most women, after seeing the Sex and the City movie, I am still talking about it. Being reunited with the girls, the clothes, the shoes, the relationships with men... It really was great but it left me with a lot of questions. I couldn't quite figure out what was bugging me until now. There was not one but two weddings in this movie. Both of these weddings seemed to be based on this: if you give the guy long enough, eventually he will come around and realize you're the one. As SATC fans know, the last line from Mr. Big in the series was, "Carrie, you're the one." While I still don't want to give much away, (even though if you haven't seen the movie by now, what the hell are you waiting for you!) this just seems to be an idea I found running through the script as well as this undying belief that "love" will conquer all.
Then, this weekend while having dinner at a very nice restaurant, I witness something that I've only seen on TV and in film. A very cute, well-dressed couple who appeared to be in their mid to late twenties were having dessert and all of a sudden the woman lets out a scream. It becomes obvious why when the guy gets up and kneels down on one knee. He proposes and of course, she starts to cry. I notice that she spends the rest of the night on her cell phone, probably telling her friends and family about it and planning the wedding. Call me jaded, cynical, bitter, whatever, but all I could do was wonder how long this union would last.
Sorry, but my date tonight was so bad that I'm considering joining a nunnery. We met at Proof. The food was great but absolutely no connection or conversation. His main pastime? Playstation. And yes, he is over 25. I mentioned that I forgot to bring my umbrella and he jokingly (or so I thought) said that he hoped I wouldn't get rained on. I walked to the restaurant, and he drove. His car was actually parked two blocks away in the Gallery Place garage. As we were leaving, I stood by the door watching the rain and not once did he offer a ride or to pull up and drop me at home which is only a few blocks away. What did he say? "Give me a call sometime." Yes, romance lives and eventually men will come around. Right.

Sphere: Related Content

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once had a guy on a date say "Yea, I would give you a ride but it's two blocks out of my way. You understand."

City Girl DC said...

And you understood, right?

Anonymous said...

Sadly, this does not surprise me. After the FIRST date where the guy said he had only had sex with prostitutes for the past two years...and he needed a male enhancement drug to perform, as long as a man shows up in pants to a date, I'm happy.

Hence the reason I now prefer girls night out to a date with some guy who has the personality of toothpaste (wait, toothpaste is refreshing).

Shannon said...

Oh, I would have "understood" as well. A stiletto to the crotch does wonders for male comprehension skills.

Kidding. Of course. Most likely.

City Girl DC said...

Shannon, I like your stileto idea :) And Adventuresinshaw, yes, I have been more stimulated by toothpaste than by some guys I've gone out with.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I would highly recommend the asparagus soup with poached hen egg at Proof. Delicious!

silversage said...

All men are not slimy warthogs.Some are silly giraffes, some are woebegone puppies, some insecure frogs. But if one is not careful,those slimy warthogs can ruin it for all the others.- Cynthia Heimel