Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Just Not That Into You

I finally saw the movie, He's Just Not That Into You. I've been familiar with the term since it debuted on Sex and the City a few years ago. I didn't find it to be a revelation but many women did and I can understand why. If for no other reason than to save us the unnecessary talking, stressing, moaning, crying....whatever, over a guy who is not interested, I'm all for that. I for one, have wasted way too much time over that and the longer you are single, whether in a long-term relationship or just dating and not getting what you want, it is SO not worth it. Might as well spend that time talking about the failed American economy or if Rachel Ray will ever shut the fuck up. Anyway, my main beef is that I thought the movie should have been called, How to Tell If Somebody Is Not Into You. While the focus was on women, there were a few man lessons in there and in general, the movie provides good illustrations for guys and girls. The whole Scarlet Johansson character should definitely teach guys a lesson or two about women who just want to be friends. I've been there many times and don't get why the guy doesn't comprehend that all I want is friendship. And when it comes to women, I truly believe the old rules apply. When he wants you and only you, it will be obvious. We should never settle for anything less or try to force a decision. If you have to wait for that ship to come in until the dock rots then so be it. Just make sure you're out there having fun and enjoying life in the meantime.


In fact, there was a line in the movie that played out for me over the past few days. Rule: If a guy is really interested in you, he will ask for your number rather than just give you his number.

In the past 3-5 days, I've gone out and been given several cards. I've learned over the years to trash them because as any seasoned DC dater knows, that's just par for the course. There are lots of card tossers out there. However, on Friday night I was asked by a very cute government worker who was out with co-workers celebrating a birthday if he could have my number. Now, when a woman is interested, she will give out her number. If not, she will make up any old excuse not to - can't find a pen, don't have a working number, makes it a policy not to give out number to strangers - and this tells the guy something upfront. It also puts the ball in his court which means he is confident enough to accept said ball. A day later, I get a call from this guy and we have scheduled a date for later in the week. There you have it. I'll keep you posted on how things go!

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: