Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Night in the UK

The other night I finally stopped by Commonwealth in Columbia Heights owned by Jamie Leeds of Hank's Oyster Bar. One great restaurant should result in another, right? I had also been hearing so many great things about this British-inspired gastropub and Metrocurean's description of the fried olives had me determined to get there.
I usually prefer sitting at the bar but it was full so we sat at one of the bar tables which was even better because the seats were comfy and there was a great view of the patio. The patio is great and would've been nice but it's been kind of chilly these days in DC (I hear it's going to warm up next week, so take advantage of a patio while you can!). Comfort food was exactly what I was looking for. Luckily, the menu at Commonwealth is filled with comfort food. There's your typical British pub fare and some interesting twists like the smoked tofu shepherd's pie. And what I really love is that they're using local, sustainable, and humanely raised meat. I had the fish and chips. The Smithwick's beer battered haddock melted in my mouth and the chips were nice and crispy. I also had a pint of the cask conditioned ale which rotates. On this night, they were featuring the Victory Storm King Stout. It was amazing! Not at all bitter like some stouts but slightly sweet with hints of chocolate and coffee. And at 9% abv, I was very satisfied. I was also very satisfied with our extremely attentive and hot server, Alex. Not to mention that there's a late happy hour from 10-11:30 pm. It's a guarantee that I will be back to Commonwealth soon.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: