Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Bad Girl Out at Night

Bad girls, talking 'bout bad bad girls, yeah... One of my favorite Donna Summer songs. I think I should make it my theme song. I've discovered over the past few weeks that many people disapprove of my nightlife lifestyle.

  • I went on a date recently with a very nice guy. He might be perfect for someone else but I was bored stiff. When the date was over he offered to see me to my door but the night was young and I had some serious dancing to do. He took my decline as an example of how women don't know how to let men take care of them anymore. Interesting, patriarchal point of view, I thought.
  • After telling my mother about a fun night out recently, I was told that I should have been at home and would never meet a good man after dark. Further, she told me to do something new like getting married and having a baby. Even if I were interested in those activities, they are unfortunately not completely up to me.
  • While standing outside my favorite dive bar on a Tuesday night on my cell phone, a young man selling newspapers stopped to talk. He thought it was odd that I (a woman) was outside after midnight. As if I should be aware, he insisted that it was his duty to make sure I was ok. Seeing that I was speechless, he walked away.
To many, the night is associated with freaks (freaks come out at night), crime, and dirty, nasty, behavior. And apparently, not suited for women. My brother-in-law says that women shouldn't be out at night. Funny how I've seen much stranger things during the day than at night. I'm also more likely to be harassed during the day: at work, walking, at the bank, at the grocery store, on the train....

Indeed, nightlife gets a bad rap. Consider the differences between day and night. The sun, while beautiful, can be damaging to the skin and eyes. Not true of the moon. I absolutely love the moon. It's beautiful, dreamy, sometimes reminds me of cheesecake, and astronauts have walked on it. Nobody is trying to walk on the sun. The city is quiet at night which allows one to think more clearly. Very different from daytime with all the loud noises and the hustle and bustle. I've had the most interesting, satisfying, and enlightening experiences at night.

So I happen to be a night owl. Does that make me bad? If so, too bad. I have felt comfortable being me for several years now and it wasn't easy. I'm proud of that. Maybe one day we can all celebrate what makes us unique.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

free said...

I'm a night owl too. Have to get up early though so, it's hard. But when I can stay up late, DC sucks! In NYC I can always find somewhere to go any time of the night.