Saturday, June 6, 2009

Do Men Fake Foreplay?

If you want to know the answer to that question, you'd better hurry up and get a ticket to the show, Men Fake Foreplay, which is at the Bethesda Theatre only until tomorrow. It's based on a book by the same name. After reading the reviews of this one-man show, I may just see get a ticket and buy the book. When I initially saw the ad in the City Paper I thought it was a funny statement on how men and women often experience sex differently. One of my favorite episodes on Seinfeld was "The Virgin". I loved how Elaine explained to her that after sex men act as if they're leaving the scene of a crime and suddenly become farmers who have to get up at the crack of dawn. While this hasn't always been my experience, I do find it odd how men can so quickly disengage after sex and have a hard time being able to cuddle. So, it wouldn't surprise me if men fake foreplay just to get the sex.
But it sounds like this play is about way more than sex. According to one reviewer: "About midway through Dugan's one-man show, it becomes apparent that the humor is mainly an enjoyable delivery system for an important message. The Emmy Award-winning writer and performer uses a keen sense of the comic to open up the topic of male sexual fantasy and where it collides with male sexual responsibility." Seems like a discussion we all need to have.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: