Monday, January 18, 2010

Thankfulness and Hope

When tragedies like the Haitian earthquake take place, it's hard for me not to get sucked into a sadness that makes me cry whenever I turn on the news. Outside of donating in as many ways as I can, I also feel pretty much useless. But I'm learning this year more than ever that if I focus on being thankful for what I have, I do myself and those around me, a much greater service. One of my New Year's resolutions is to stop stressing and complaining so much, especially over minor stuff, and be happy in each moment. Given that tragedy can happen to any of us at anytime, it seems a necessity even. As an American, it's often easy to forget about how difficult others, like Haitians, have it every day. But the good thing is that this situation has pointed out and/or reminded us that things many of us take for granted like clean water, stable living structures, and emergency services don't exist for a lot of people. And as a result, we can begin to make things better. I'm also hopeful at the outpouring of support, help, and aid provided in all sorts of creative ways, by ordinary people. So, while I may be redundant, here are some ways the good people of DC are trying to help in the Haitian relief efforts:

Event Tonight: Haitian Relief Benefit, Monday, January 18th, 5-10pm, Liv Nightclub, 2001 11th St. NW, DJ KC, DJ Oji, DJ Louis P.
$5 Donation, all proceeds donated to the American Red Cross/Salvation Army

Lists of relief efforts around the city: Going Out Gurus , Adventures in Shaw , DC Fab

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: